Thursday, September 6, 2012

Discipline!

So it has been a few days. I'm still getting used to my school schedule and getting back into the swing of writing for the paper. I have also been living the last week of my best and longest army wife friend living in Tn. You could say I have kind of been a wreck.
Anyway, I have really been thinking lately about parenting and the rights and wrongs.  There are so many different parenting styles out there it's crazy, and I caught myself wishing I had a manual. Well this thought left me feeling ashamed that I didn't realize I already have one... The Bible!
A good friend of mine and me were talking last night about how people parent and specifically discipline.... Or lack there of. Discipline is an extremely touchy subject with moms I know, but don't you wish sometimes it was the same for everyone. I don't believe in beating or hurting your babies, but I also don't believe in letting them do absolutely anything and everything they want to do and never disciplining when disciplining is needed.
One of the things my friend and I were talking about was what to do if our kids are playing with a mean or aggressive child and that child is not disciplined. Obviously any mommy who sees here babies getting bullied want to protect their child, but what should you do?
I think the best way to handle that kind of situation is to let the parent know what their child did and tell them that isn't behavior you allow at your home.... Hopefully that parent will discipline or at least talk to their child about not exuding that behavior anymore, but if they don't honestly you really can't do anything about it and it stinks. My advice to myself is to remove yourself and your babies from the situation if it gets to bad or another child continues to act in a way you don't agree with. I would personally try a few more play dates and if it continued, as much as it may hurt I would have to let my motherly instincts kick in and decide to no longer associate with the family.
I think that every mom has the endowed right to choose how to discipline whether it be spank, exhibit the same bad behavior back to them that they showed to you, time out, or a good talking to, but discipline is necessary. The fact of the matter is even if you personally choose not to discipline your child they will receive it eventually in places like school or daycare, or the court of law when they're older.
I leave you with this..... Make my life easier lol don't let your babies be hethans and don't let yourself cringe at the though of being friends with heathen children/ childrens mothers.
Also, " train a child in the way he should go, and even when he is old he will not depart from it." - proverbs 22:6. So save yourselves a lot of time and energy and trust your instincts and trust God.

Mommy on,
Liam's Mommy

See this little one is disciplined when needed usually by the distraction method or talking and he still loves me! 
P.s. I'm typing this from my brand new iPad and I LOVE it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment