Sunday, September 11, 2011

"Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning that September Day?"

On Tuesday September 11, 2001 like out great president George W. Bush, I was in a classroom. I was a fifth grader in my uncle Mike's classroom when we got word of the south tower being hit by a plane. The tv's were turned on in the whole school and as young children it was hard to understand why out teachers were crying and scared. I remember just watching the tv trying to figure out what I was looking at. I had no idea what the World Trade Centers were, or even where they were located. As we were watching we saw the second tower get hit and teachers were going hysterical... I was just trying to figure out what was going on around me and why I was seeing people jump out of buildings to their deaths. I remember being scared and getting under my uncle mike's desk with seth and zack. I just wanted to go home so my mom could tell me what happened. When the towers began to collapse I remember crying, but I didn't really know why I just knew something really bad just happened. Terrorism was never in my vocabulary until this day.

The rest of the day the tv's stayed on and most of the teachers didn't even speak. It was so scary and confusing. I knew something bad had happened, I was just to young at the time to understand just how bad it really was. While I was setting in my classroom in a state of confusion, my future husband Ben was in his 6th grade classroom watching the screen in a state of courage knowing that he would join the Army the second he was old enough to fight for all the people who had lost their lives that day.

On September 11, 2001 I was in a classroom a young child, and ten years later on September 11th, 2011 at 8:47 New York time I was feeding my 11 week old baby his bottle while my U.S. soldier husband was lighting 3 candle in remembrance of the people who lost their lives that day and the soldiers who have lost their lives fighting for this country. Just like that day 10 years ago, most of my morning was spent with my eyes glued to the television, although this time I understood fully what had happened. I was still sad, and it had a more personal touch this time around. Ten years ago I did not know that I would marry a U.S. soldier and be an Army Wife. I did not know that would be personally affected by this day forever in the form of the military. This day brought courage to millions of citizens who joined the military to fight for this countries freedom, and it also brought on more deaths that tied to this day. A soldier in my husbands unit died for our freedom, and as a POC in the FRG I had to call mom's, dad's, and wives of soldiers in my husbands unit along with 2 other girls and read a script to these family members that had the word "died" in the second sentence. Hearing the screaming out of crying women and men as I read this script, was the the hardest thing I have ever done. After they heard the word died they all thought I was calling about their soldier when really I was calling to inform them that yes a soldier died, but it wasn't their soldier. I can only imagine the terror of every individual who answered their phone on September 11, 2001. This terror is something I wish on no one, to receive or to experience. The candles we lit this morning were standing tall and strong, just like the towers were, and by the end of the day they are melted down and wax is all over the cardboard piece that supported them, just like by the end of the day the towers where burnt down and scattered all over the ground which supported them.

For the husband who told his wife I love you one last time before his plane went down in a field, for the wife who stopped in the stairs to call her husband to say I will love you forever, for the mothers and fathers who kissed their kids goodbye the morning they died, for the policemen who rushed in with the firemen to help get others out only to die themselves, for the soldiers who fought back and lost their lives. today, tomorrow, ten years from now, we will remember. God Bless ♥
-unknown

Thank you to all the first responders, police officers, firefighters, and American Soldiers who fought that day and who are still fighting. RIP to everyone who lost their lives that day and the soldiers who have lost their lives since then. A special remembrance to SPC Christopher Barton who died in honor for this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment