Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"Sticking to Your Guns"

One lesson that I have already learned in my 2 1/2 months of parenthood is that when it comes to your parenting skills you have to stick to your guns (sometimes quite literally) on what you think is the right way. It is well known that in today's society every family has their own set of values and rules, and many of them clash. My home is protected by the good Lord and a Gun and though this used to be a common thing, it is not near as much anymore and I find that really sad.
Liam's newborn pictures were taken when he was a week old. In some of the pictures of Liam and Ben, Ben has a gun in a holster on his hip. This was not a big deal to me at all, I didn't even think about it because my husband ALWAYS has a gun in a holster on his hip. It is his American right and he takes immense pride in it. Well I had a few people make negative comments about this and I had to just take it with a grain of salt, because this is just a way of life for us.... guns are welcome in our house as a means of protection and they are not going away anytime soon. Now when Liam is mobile they will more then likely no longer be loaded and they will always be kept in a locked safe, but they will be present and there will be one on Ben's hip whether any one likes it or not.
I have also ran into issues of "oh your not feeding him enough,"or "oh your feeding him too much." Also, "honey you  need to put him in bigger diapers these are to tight," and "oh you better not use a dryer sheet that isn't specifically for babies." There are always going to be people who do not like the way you parent, but you have to just ignore what others say and do what you know is right for your children and your home. Saying this I don't mean to not listen to others opinions, because they very well may give you good advice that you want to take into account, but don't be bullied into the way you parent. Stick to your gun.


1 comment:

  1. Our house is also protected by the Lord and (several) guns. I thought Liam and Ben's photos were the most beautiful and Manly baby pics I have ever seen. Stick to your guns girl, Liam will grow to be a strong young man with you and Ben guiding him.

    ReplyDelete