Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"Humbling Experiences"

Today was a special day. We spent most of the morning and early afternoon at Walter Reed getting Ben all prepared for his surgery on Friday. While we were there we saw so many amputees it broke my heart. These people risked their lives and linmbs for our freedom. I wanted to feel sorry for them, but I know that isn't what they would want. They knew the risks and they chose to serve anyways. These are true heros. It was also so amazing to see that several of them had wives and children by their sides still supporting them, because this is not always the case when war heros get dramatically hurt.
 After we left the hospital we drove to Gerogetown and walked around to local shops and did a little shopping. It is gorgeous there! All the old historic buildings are so beautifuly crafted. When we left there we went to Arlington Cemetery. This was the most humbling experience. I made it all the way to section 60, which is home to Afghanistan and Iraq fallen soldiers, before I broke down crying. There were graves from this month there. I am so thankful that I was here with my husband by my side standing upright and not laying down. It breaks my heart that there are so many women who are not as lucky as me. The most touching part was when Ben soluted them before we left. I really broke down then. I thank God everyday that he brought Ben home safe to me. I'm also really glad that Liam got to experience this with us. It started raining while we were there and we didn't focus on being wet, we just thought of all the tears cried in this place and it made the idea of being wet not so bad. Everyone should make a visit here in there life if they get the chance. It will change you in at least a small way.

1 comment:

  1. Choked me up there girl! What a beautiful experience though.

    ReplyDelete